Sustainability and reducing the impact I have on the environment is something that is incredibly important to me on a personal level so it is naturally at the forefront of my mind when it comes to The Dog Edit. When I started the business last year, one of my first decisions was to use boxes and tissue paper made from recycled (and recyclable) materials. Since then I've been incrementally trying to improve our sustainability and I thought I would share my progress with you.
Packaging is not only important as it protects items during transit but also because I want my customers to be excited when they open a delivery from The Dog Edit. Current progress on packaging includes the following:
- All cardboard boxes and tissue paper are made from recycled materials and are recyclable
- I swapped plastic packing tape for paper tape which is recyclable
- At events, where customers need a bag, we give customers in a recyclable paper bag
- Instead of sending Lickimats in jiffybags which contain plastic, we now send them in recyclable cardboard envelopes
- Packing slips will be printed on recycled paper from September 2018
- Fragile items will be packed in compostable pellets from September 2018
Where possible, I use suppliers that package and ship their products with minimal plastic packaging. For safety reasons, food items tend to be packed in plastic and I would love suppliers to switch to recyclable alternatives should they become available.
Dog Edit HQ is run from my home which as of May 2018 is powered by 100% renewable electricity, and we have low energy LED lights throughout the house. From September 2018 all heating and hot water (which I used to dye leads) will also be from a renewable biomass source.
We also recycle everything that we receive from suppliers - usually cardboard, but we also reuse bubble wrap and some boxes (for local deliveries).
Our handmade leads are made from unbleached cotton and hemp. Coloured hemp cord used for whipping is sourced from a fairtrade company who use AZO free, acid free and lead free dyes to colour the hemp cord.
We plan to introduce a lead re-manufacturing service, where you can send in your lead to have it remade (if your dog decided to chew it to bits, or you wanted a different length or colour) and rewhipped, using the original metal parts.
We'd love to hear your comments and suggestions on other things we can do to minimise our environmental impact!